Sunday, August 21, 2011

Formspring Question #226--Sovereign Immunity Edition

What do you think of the Sovereign Citizens movement?
Their belief the federal income tax is unconstitutional has some merit, but they are otherwise too close to anarchists for my taste. The idea of rejecting all form of law outside of English common law is too much for me.



They are too extreme for he FBI, too. The Sovereign Citizens are considered an extremist group. I am not familiar enough with them to know if they promote violence, but I am aware of the (conspiracy?) theory that Wesley Snipes had the book thrown at him for failure to file a tax return because he is allegedly sympathetic to their cause. I cannot find anything in legitimate news sources that say anything other than Snipes claimed the unconstitutionality of the federal income tax in his legal defense, which is something I imagine everyone in his shoes does,



The bottom line is I can appreciate groups who want to return to small government first principles, but I cannot bring myself to ally with everyone who flirts with the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment