Monday night, I was fiddling around on my computer with the Atlanta braves/Pirrsburgh Pirates game playing in he background. All of the sudden, I started to shake uncontrollably. I called it the chills and a sign I was going to wake up Tuesday morning with a full blown bug.
I could not worry about that at the time. My Arthrogryposis weakens my joints to the point shaking for any length of time is painful. I do not like being cold, naturally. I figured since I was probably going to wake up sick anyway, I would take a couple alleve and go to bed.
Surprisingly enough, I did not wake up sick as I expected. I was kind of droopy and lounged around in bed longer than usual after posting the usual babe photo and VOY review, but other than that and the odd notion breakfast could wait indefinitely, I was all right. It is not terribly unusual for various health issues to gang up on me to the point I have to drop out of life a day or two to recharge. Recent weeks have involved some...let us call them starts and stops in order to maintain polite conversation.
Yesterday, I slept later than usual, but bounced up. I forced myself to eat a sandwich I did not want because I was on about hour sixteen with no food intake. It gave me a little pep even though for all the enjoyment I got out of it, it might as well have been made of cardboard. Things went fine fine until last night.
While I was standing at the bathroom sink washing my hands, I started shaking again, except this time more violently. I lost my balance thanks to my artificial hip joints not being able to handle it. I now have a purple goose egg on my right knee. It is sitting right on the joint so that bending my knee stretches the skin and puts an eye crossing pressure on it. I could not worry about that at the time. I sat there shaking for about three to five minutes. It felt like much longer because I became short of breath, which I had not on Monday. It was obvious now I had not experienced an early sign of a bug.
I could not breathe normally, I could not speak, my joints were burning with fatigue, and my knee was swelling up and not enjoying its topsy turvy ride. I yanked a dry bath towel from the rack and wrapped myself in it. That did not stop my shaking, so I threw it over the central air vent. That did not work, either. Obviously, getting warmer was not the answer. It slowly subsided. I took more Alleve, because even a few minutes of shaking is enough is enough to make my joints feel like I have just completed a marathon. I went.
Presumably, many of you have already said I must have been hypoglycemic, and you are right. While I cannot fathom why Monday’s episode occurred, the crashing and skipping meals due to loss of appetite made Wednesday’s inevitable and worse. I have never experienced hypoglycemia before or at least did not recognize a shivering sensation as an episode. I have certainly never experienced like what planted me on the bathroom floor.
Fortunately, hypoglycemia is a minor issue that seems scarier than it is. I am going to have to force myself to eat something whether I want to or not to keep my blood sugar intake satisfactory. I am surprised, given some deeper holes I have been in with oversleeping and loss of appetite due to health issues, that I have not had a recognizable, much less worse, hypoglycemic episode before now. Maybe I am becoming less resilient in my mid-thirties. Whatever the case, I am now more vigilant.
oh, yeah--icing up a swelling hematoma does not do a ting for it. That is juast something they tell you to do in first aid because in hopes the ice will numb the pain for a placebo effect. I do not know why I even bother every time I get a hematoma, but I still do.
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment